Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WINNING!!!

I did it! I finished Script Frenzy this year!


There was a scary moment of doubt where I didn't think I was going to, a moment brought about by video game addiction, day job overtime, and general laziness. However, with the assistance of an extra day off courtesy of my birthday,  and the help of my husband, who took the video game controller from me before I hurt myself, I finished it this afternoon....33 hours before the end of the event.

To back up, if you're not sure what Script Frenzy is, I wrote this article before the month started. It's the spring counterpart of National Novel Writing Month. Last year I attempted...and failed...both events. Having finished this one, I'm optimistic about this year's novel.

I went for romantic comedy, though it took awhile for the comedy to find its way into the story, and I still can't guarantee anyone else will find it funny. It's a typical cute, chick flick script. It's not well written, but that's the point of the event. Revision will hopefully polish it up. The plot: Not-so-nice "higher up" at a big business corporation loses a file for a business proposal that could get her a promotion to company promotion. IT guy happens to be walking by and agrees to help her find the file if she "dates" him for a undetermined amount of time. Though she doesn't want to, she worries that he'll ruin her job with his technological know-how, so she agrees.

There's nothing surprising happening here, folks, and I'm okay with that. You can already tell what's going to happen by the synopsis. I'd like to think the journey would make for a fun story, though. I've incorporated the following into the plot: my main female has a taste for serial killer trivia, my characters play DnD, and the two leads travel to Sault Ste. Marie for a wedding.

Even though I hit the 100 page mark and am close to being done with the initial writing, I still don't have the ending done. I'll have to make this a project and line it up alongside my other writing and revising projects. I think I'm going to need to set up a specific month to personally work on all my revisions. June? July? September comes with a built in 4 day weekend and no foreseeable travels.

Accomplishments are awesome, especially when I can now put something to rest...temporarily...and focus on some other things that need a writer's attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment