Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Goodreads: Hot Target

Hot Target (Troubleshooters #8) Hot Target by Suzanne Brockmann


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm not a huge mystery reader and I rarely find interest in books where military or action is concerned. But this book may have changed my mind. Borrowed from a friend, the purpose of reading this book was originally to focus on writing a gay character since I have one in my current writing project. The book turned out to be highly serendipitous.

J. Mercedes Chadwick is producing a movie that centers around two gay men in WWII, one of them being the son of a highly conservative anti-gay judge revered by the anti-gay Freedom Network. When she starts receiving death threats, Jane (that's what the J. stands for) is forced to accept a team of bodyguards, including Cosmo Richter, who looks alot scarier than he is but takes his job very seriously. Especially when he finds a growing attraction to Jane (you saw it coming..admit it!)

FBI Agent Jules Cassidy is also brought in on the case, but unlike Cosmo, his main interest isn't Jane, it's her brother Robin. Dealing with a closeted actor is made only more difficult by his ex who shows up and lands a main role in the movie.

This is the first book I've read in this series and I have to say that while the romance between Cos and Jane is fun, Jules is a great character who gives the book alot of extra flavor. What could have been your standard romance mystery is giving a great twist with this character and his interactions with the others.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more books in this series.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment