Friday, June 10, 2011

Chiropractors and Me

I don't like chiropractors. In fact, they scare me. I don't look down on them or anything, especially because I know they help alot of people, but I'm personally not a chiropractor girl.

I visited one in college to help me with some back issues. Every once in awhile, my back would pull and would hurt for about 3 days. One time the pain was so bad I broke down and visited one. Two appointments and three MONTHS later, I was still in pain. I got it into my head that I was never going to visit another one.

Once again, I'm dealing with some back issues. These ones have been ongoing for about a year now. Part of it is weight and part of it is a nerve that seems to have gotten lodged all up in my business. The hope was that exercising would help, and it actually has. I'm building strength and endurance and I'm moving better...some days. My back, though, is a constant source of discomfort, and it's getting frustrating.

My co-worker recommended her chiropractor today. I wasn't buying it at first. Sure, I'm in pain now, but better the pain I know than the pain that could be ten times worse. But once I started paying attention to her, I actually started thinking about it. The doctor is part of an alternative health group that uses a different method of realignment that involves a weird tool that looks like a gun or a drill. I got some of the details but I'm still a little hazy as to how it actually works.

Hazy or not, I went ahead and made an appointment. I know it contradicts my anti-chiropractor thing, but at this point, I'm willing to try something new. While a regular adjustment is never going to be acceptable, something akin to a massage might be helpful. I'm hoping that not only will a couple treatments have me feeling better but maybe it'll also help with my workouts.

This has also started me thinking of other natural or alternative pain remedies, including acupuncture or heat massage. If anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know. In the meantime, wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that this whole being "thumped" in the back thing doesn't make things worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment