Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Let's Talk Insomnia

I try not to complain too much in this blog, but I consider tonight a special occasion. Move along if you'd rather avoid my whining today.

As I write this, I'm currently experiencing one of the main drawbacks of a long weekend/semi-vacation: insomnia. I know it's my own fault. The experts say you're supposed to maintain your sleep schedule even during time off from work. But as great as that sounds NOW, I really enjoyed sleeping in this past long weekend.

To every indulgence, there is a consequence, and this one has me awake at one in the morning the night before I have to go back to work. Worse, work starts a half hour early for me now due to summer hours. Sure, I'll be getting done an hour early, but without sleep, that hour is going to take forever to get here.

Sleep is fickle. As I sit here typing, my eyes feel heavy, but I know what's going to happen. I'll go lay down and be wide awake. I tried reading. In fact, I tried reading a story I thought I would find so boring it would lull me to sleep.  I shake my fist at Jules Verne for being so engaging ("Around the World in 80 Days" is something I never had the urge to read, but now I can't wait to finish it).

What makes it really difficult is the heat. Being a basement apartment, our place is usually very cool, but for some reason it seems like all the heat in Manhattan has sunk into our lower level. The air conditioning is doing nothing for us even though it was "serviced" by our rental management maintenance guys last week, and none of our windows open. We have the front door propped open, and while we can hear the wind going crazy outside, we're not getting much of a breeze.

It was like this last night too, but it was easier to ignore since I didn't have to get up for work the next morning. I'm going to regret not taking a shower tonight, but I didn't figure there was any point since I know I'm going to wake up sweaty and in need of another one tomorrow.

Basically, I'm overheated, tired, and miserable. Summer has always been my favorite season. I hate the cold. However, I'm thinking the heat of summer and I are going to stop seeing eye to eye if this keeps up. Maybe it's a sign of age, but these temps are kicking my butt.

Guess I'd better go count some more sheep. I've got about one thousand already rounded up...let's so how many more it takes.

1 comment:

  1. I despise insomnia! Luckily it hardly ever happens to me but I do get over active dreaming at least once or twice a week. You know that feeling of waking up while you were in the middle of something? Of wanting to go back to bed because you feel like something was unfinished and your not entirely sure what?

    Yesterday I woke up with that feeling. I was so not rested either! My alarm went off and I remember trying to figure out where I was?

    The dream I was having involved me being some kind of genetic experiment. Nothing physically wrong but I had the ability to talk to rocks and weird things (I think a kitten and a grasshopper were involved). Anyway, I had broken into the agency that had experimented on me, it was on top of a mountain, behind a waterfall, inside a volcano. All the people who worked there wore doctor lab coats and were incredibly dumb.

    Wondering around the facility I found out they were experimenting on lots of people, and the place didn't really look like an evil facility, actually it looked rather homey, like Martha Stewart had thrown up on it with style!

    Until you found out they locked people in freezers at night to keep them fresh... My person had just found the freezers and people started to chase her when I woke up!

    I know there was more to it before the super secret base, I vaguely have the feeling that a plant nursery was involved, a lake, rebel men in dirty ripped clothing (typical post apocalyptic guys, you know the type)who drank tea.

    I dunno what I would prefer more, having fucked up adventures every night or not being able to sleep!

    ReplyDelete