Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Relay for Life: Trying My Hand at Organizing (Again)!

Right before we moved, the prospect of having my own place, getting involved in more things, and doing something good with my time all seemed like a great ideas. I was highly motivated, had all these thoughts and all this energy, and was ready to just go. But between then and now, I got tired.

I decided to head up a Relay for Life Team for work. Cancer has touched a good number of people, including myself, and it’s another cause I feel strongly about. Plus, I’d always heard good things about the Relay for Life. It’s a tiring venture: an all night walk where members of your team take turns walking so that everyone has at least one team member walking for 12 hours straight. I had a good response for a first timer and we currently have a team of ten members.

But with everything else going on, I’ve been slacking, and by slacking, I’m also beating myself up a little bit. I don’t want to let the team down. I want to be a good captain and I want to raise our team goal. But in the several years since I’d last organized anything, I’d forgotten that even responsibility doesn’t overshadow my procrastinating ways.

I’m sort of back on track…kind of hanging on by one rail…but I think I’m getting there. We have our first meeting tomorrow and our first fundraiser a week from Saturday, a garage sale at my place. Luckily I had the foresight to take the Friday before off so I could gather tables, make signs, etc. We also have several other fundraisers which are pending approval.

Wish me luck in organizing this and making it successful for our team. If anyone out there would like to make a donation, the link is http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09National?px=11338073&pg=personal&fr_id=17355

I’m also looking for fundraising and theme ideas, so don’t hesitate to give me your thoughts. Or send me some momentum in a bottle. I think I’m going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment