Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday's Random Thoughts

Our internet was finally hooked up on Friday night and since then I've been enjoying watching our Netflix Instant Viewer through Jon's XBox 360. While I'm missing out on True Blood since we don't have HBO, I totally feel like we're getting a deal with our less than 10 dollar a month Netflix subscription, at least at the moment.

Does anyone else remember "Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater"? My siblings and I used to watch it when we were growing up. We'd head down to the Glens video rental kiosk (when they still had it) and find all the episodes on VHS to watch at home. Back then it was the epitome of cool. When it came in Instant Viewer, I snagged it to the queue right away and watched a few episodes. Still love it, even though the cool factor has shifted to total cheese. But it's still fun! Robin Williams as the homeliest frog prince ever kicks it...I love Robin Williams, just never would have thought of him as a "prince."

But the random thought comes from the fact that the second episode was "Rumplestiltskin" and I realized how much I don't like that story for several reasons. Now quick disclaimer here, I dont' know if I've ever read the original version, or if there really is an original version. Jon said he thought there might have been something that to do with collecting body parts which probably would change things, but the story itself and the way I know it to be portrayed just bugs the heck out of me.

First of all, you have a miller who puts his daughter's head on the chopping block and promises her services to the king. It might not be the same as pimping, but it's close. Then you have a king who for all intents and purposes couldn't care less about the girl. He just wants the damn gold. I've read enough historical and fantasy romance novels to know that this may have actually been realistic. That doesn't make it any less annoying.

Now I understand that Rumplestiltskin is supposed to be the "bad guy" and that of course you wouldn't give your first born child to a weird little man. But let's face it...he DID help the daughter out when she needed him. If he were a mob goon, I'm sure the new Queen wouldn't have even had the chance at a little name guessing. It's pay up or check out with those guys (from what I hear). So here this poor little dwarf is, helping a girl out, and she stiffs him, all the time keeping the big secret from her jackass husband because after all, he only married her because "she" made him rich.

The whole thing seems ridiculous. And I don't know why it even bugged me today of all days, and it really didn't bug me enough to lose any sleep over, but I felt the need to rant about it since ranting and TV could both me considered hobbies. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment