Friday, September 18, 2009

Goodreads Review: Being a Green Mother

Being a Green Mother (Incarnations of Immortality, #5) Being a Green Mother by Piers Anthony


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I'd really been looking forward to reading this book as part of this series. I'd enjoyed the female perspective of Fate, and after being not overly thrilled with War, I thought Gaea would be fun to read.

It was and it wasn't.

I liked it, I really did. Orb is an okay character. She's the Luna's aunt and Niobe's daughter and Mym's ex-lover and Orlene's mother, and I really do like when books tie together like this. It's fun reading and finding the connections, especially in this series.

There were also some really good things about the plot of this book. The side characters are good, such as the band Orb travels with and Natasha, the one Orb eventually falls in love with. I have to admit that my favorite part came at the end. Is it wrong that I was rooting for her to marry Satan?

There were also alot of things I didn't like about the book. For one, Orb is supposed to be angry. It's told at the beginning of the book and then it comes into play at the end. By the time I got to the end, I'd forgotten that she had a temper. It also reads like a surreal version of "Moulin Rouge." There's alot of singing, and alot of "let's sing together and then we'll fall in love" parts that made me wonder if a group of cats or a guy in a technicolor coat were slated for a double feature. I got the point: Orb's power comes from music, and this power is what leads her to take the role of Gaea. I still wonder if there would have been a way to portray this with a slightly lower score on the cheese scale.

The end tied it together though and sort of saved the book for me. I have three books to go in this series. As far as rankings, this book falls somewhere in the middle of those I've finished to date.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment