Thursday, October 1, 2009

NaNoWriMo

I love NaNoWriMo.


NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The point is for any would be author to take one month to write a novel of 30,000 words or more. If you do it, you win, simple as that. No one critiques or proofs your work. If you want to go back and proof and submit, you can since it’s still your work. The point is to write freely and see what happens.

I’ve done this for two years. Last year I worked on a story set in Sault Ste. Marie that I had an absolute blast with. Of course it’s been shelved for a year, waiting for proofing and a re-write, but I still remember enjoying the writing process of it, and I think I’ll even like it when I go back and review. To be honest, I don’t remember what I wrote in 2006 and I’m not sure why I missed 2007.

I have my concept picked out for this year’s NaNo. The challenge is going to be to NOT start until the first of November, but to let the ideas simmer. It’s actually an idea I started awhile back and then gave up on. I’m sticking with the idea but changing the basic outline. I will be jumping (back) on the vampire bandwagon for this one (even though I failed to ever revisit my college vampire stories), and I will also be attempting a mystery of sorts.

I think we have a group here in Manhattan, KS, but I’m trying to get a few people I know and work with to join up too. To sign up, go here (even if you don’t live in Manhattan, KS) and give it a shot. Okay, I know not everyone likes to write, but it’s still kind of fun, it’s only one month out of the year, and it makes for an interesting challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment