Friday, March 18, 2011

Goodreads: Feed

Feed (Newsflesh, #1)Feed by Mira Grant

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm a little late to the zombie bandwagon, and to tell the truth, I'm still not fully in fan with. I like the random zombie movie and book, and if there's a "Tweet like it's the Zombie Apocalypse Day" on Twitter, I'll join in. But unlike my husband, I am not a zombie enthusiast and have never appreciated them as anything that could be multi-faceted.

"Feed" takes the concept to a different level. This isn't your standard story about zombies walking around eating people's brains. In the post-Rising world that Shaun and Georgia Mason live in, George Romero is hailed as a survivalist hero and bloggers are celebrities of the media world. When the Mason's blogging team is chosen to follow a presidential hopeful on the road, they're thrilled at the opportunity of a lifetime.

Things on the road get dangerous, however, when someone starts targeting the candidate's family and the blogging team for assassination, using the same virus that has spread over the world and turned so many people into zombies. The blog team finds their ratings going higher while their assignment tests their ultimate survival skills.

This book is not a simple story. The future setting is a detailed one that the author developed well. The idea of blogging becoming a main source of news isn't far fetched as even now, blogs play an important roll in how information is distributed. Even the Kellis-Amberlee virus is believable, and so this book goes from being a fun zombie read to an account that makes the reader go, "Wow, I can see how this would happen."

I don't like to give spoilers, but I will say that this book brought out all kinds of emotions in me. I definitely recommend it as a good read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the Newsflesh series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment