Friday, March 25, 2011

Writing Event: Script Frenzy

We're about a week away from April, and some of my fellow writers may know that April is Script Frenzy month. If you're not familiar, you may know of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) which takes place every November. If you're not familiar with either one, here's the scoop.

The goal in November is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. The event takes out the work of editing and worrying what sounds good and what doesn't. You just write your little heart out and work out the details later. I've done this in the past and I've won in the past, but I gave up in 2010 due to time factors and computer restraints (Jon and I were sharing, so it was harder to get sufficient laptop time).

Script Frenzy is NaNoWriMo's little sister event. The goal? Write a 100 page script in 30 days. This can be a script for a play, movie, or graphic novel. This year, I'm going to write a romantic comedy screenplay. This seems to be the genre that most of my fiction writing defaults to and so should give me the boost I need to complete the project.

It's hard to explain to people who loathe writing why this is fun, but it's all about creating. I love being the ruler of my own world for a little while. I engage myself with my characters, get emotional, and watch as they develop...because most writers will tell you that once you start writing, your characters tend to have plans you didn't anticipate. It's fun, and having a deadline adds a dose of excitement to it.

After the Frenzy is over, some people will edit and submit their work to be published. Others will hibernate the work and proudly display their winner's badge. I'm not sure yet what I'll do. Probably the latter, because I tend to be lazy when it comes to the final product of my work.

If there are any writer's out there who want to give it a shot, let me know so I can add you to my friends list.

Good luck and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment