Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Goodreads: Nightlight, A Parody

Nightlight: A ParodyNightlight: A Parody by Harvard Lampoon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I like a good parody, but the key word there is "good." Many movie parodies are just dumb, and it's rare that I find a book parody to read, much less one that I enjoy.



However, the "Twilight" series seems to have opened itself up to several parody novels, including this one. In "Nightlight," Belle Goose is in love with Edwart Mullen, a strange boy who she believes is a vampire and will turn her into one as well. Belle knows she's popular, knows that no one actually notices when she falls over everything, and rubs herself in grapefruit juice because she knows that the scent makes her blood smell good to vampires.



The book was silly and entertaining, but that's coming from a person who is not a "Twilight" fan. Fans may not appreciate the blatant teasing of the original characters. I can picture people reading the book and thinking that the descriptions and metaphors are horrible, and that the writing is really bad. I can also imagine that some people aren't going to get the point that bad writing was the point of this book. It's meant to poke fun at the originals, which are...in fact...badly written.



If you're not a "Twilight fan" or a "Twilight" fan with a good sense of humor, I recommend this book as a fun, quick read. If, however, you love Bella and Edward and think "Twilight is the best thing since sliced bread, chances are, you're not going to appreciate this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment