Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Sock That Never Was

I'm going to focus on the positive of the situation, and that is that I haven't thrown anything across the room (namely yarn and needle) and I'm not crying, so temper and dramatic nature are both in check.

The sock I was working one was done finally, for all of five minutes. I completely misjudged what the pattern would do to the size, and that's even after I read the comments of other knitters who'd had the same problem. J and the BIL have the same size foot, so J was the tester for the FO, but he couldn't even get it on half his foot. Then I tried it on and it wouldn't fit me either. Sure, we're both wide footed people, but I'm pretty sure there was no way it was going to fit the person it was being made for.

So, it's being frogged and reknit at the same time, this time using the directions for the largest size. Who knows? Maybe that one will turn out to be too big, but better too big than too small, and considering the size difference the increases and decreases made, I think the big size just might work.

I've always hated the feeling of having wasted so many hours/days/etc. on something only to have to redo it, but I'm keeping calm about this. It's the process and a finished object that fits will be infinitely better than one that doesn't. Common sense, yeah...but I was really tempted just to keep it and try to find someone with a small foot.

So here we go again...back to the cast on.

ALF

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when this happens..I swear, I must frog my socks at least twice before I'm happy with the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to come to terms with frogging. So far so good. I'm glad I was able to keep calm on this one, and the new ones are actually coming out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete